16 March, 2008

Fun Monday!

This week's Fun Monday is hosted by Nikki at My Husband Calls Me Weird. She wants to know:

1.) I don't know about you, but my family is great at creating strange words that only we know the meaning. Some were created when the kids were first learning to talk, others came about when our tongues were twisted and the word came out funny. Either way, the words stuck and we still use them in our daily conversations. What created words does your family use?! Please share the story behind the word if you remember. If you don't have a made up word then tell us about the unspoken way you communicate with someone. Do you and your significant other have a look that means "This party is boring, lets split" or do you have a look that your kids know means their butt is in serious trouble? Please share!! And a picture of the look would be very entertaining!

OR/AND

2.) In honor of St. Paddy's Day, please share your worst green beer story!

So, first things first! My family hasn't really made up any words per se, but we do have invisible friends that my mother, brother and I still see occasionally. The most notable of these is "Chookamala." Or sometimes we call him Chookie. Chookie first appeared as my mom was driving us to school. She was the only one who ever saw him at first, it would go something like this:

"Look! There's Chookie!! Look, or you'll miss him!"

"Chookamala??? I haven't seen him yet, where? WHERE??

"Over there, behind that tree."

"Zack, do you see him? I can't see him!"

"No, where, Mom, WHERE???"

"Over th--- oh, he's gone now, you missed him. But he says hello, and be good at school!"

My brother, being the older and wiser one, eventually caught sight of him and would play along with my mom. This frustrated me to no end, because I just wanted to see what Chookamala looked like. He was a HE, he could be my future husband for all I knew. It wasn't until middle school that I caught on to Chookie. I could see him then.

To this day, my brother and I still get stocking stuffers from Chookamala at Christmas. I think we always will.

As for green beer, I never really was one to partake in green beer because the thought of ingesting that much food coloring kind of grossed me out. However, I will always remember one green beer infused party at my alma mater, UGA. I was invited by a friend of the hostesses, and I only went because it was my only option for St. Patty's. I was not fond (AT ALL) of the two hostesses. But, I went, and I had some green beer and I made the best of it. I think I may have gotten an Irish kiss or two. And then. THEN! the clock struck two AM and the hostesses informed EVERY party goer that they had to either drunk drive home, or sit quietly outside until they could drive home. It was like bar, when they turn on the lights and the managers start walking around and taking your drinks. It was just go home, you can not be here. Seriously, who hosts a party, invites oodles of friends, and then sends them home drunk?? At least have the courtesy to call a few cabs before being an ass.

Can you tell I'm still not over that? And for the record, I did not drunk drive home, I managed to sweet talk a sober party goer into a ride home.

So that's it for my Fun Monday! I can't wait to read about all the more interesting green beer stories!







16 comments:

Mariposa said...

I think I might need to steal Chookamala...sounds nice!

Great opst...Happy FunMonday!

Pamela said...

I love chookamala. What a concept.

Gattina said...

That was very impolite of this party hostesses ! I think I would have told them before leaving by slamming the door !

ChrisB said...

The chookamala story is cute.

Definitely NOT the hostesses with the mostest~ I can see why you weren't that fond of them!!

-Ann said...

I've never heard of such a thing as tossing people out of your party at 2am. Back in 1994, when we lived in Dublin, it was pretty much understood that when you had a party, people were sleeping over. No one had a car and public transport becomes less than useless around midnight.

Sauntering Soul said...

I attended an odd party or two during my days at UGA but I never had someone host a party that was so rude. That's awful!

Lil Mouse said...

that's a new one and quite interesting to me. we often say that a gnome goes around throwing papers on the floor, leaving dirty glasses sitting all around the house, oh that stupid gnome destroyed our house again!

i did tell my nieces and nephews once that i saw a leprechaun about this time of year and they decided to go to the end of the rainbow to find the pot of gold, before they took off running, I warned them that he could see them coming and just as they got into sight, he'd SNAP his fingers and take off with the gold. they didnt know what to think!

Ari_1965 said...

I think you could start making and selling stuffed Chookamalas.

Karmyn R said...

i think Chookamala should have been sent over to do some butt-whipping on that hostess!!!

Sayre said...

So... did you MARRY Chookamala? And what, exactly, IS an Irish kiss? How is it different from a regular kiss - or a French kiss? Enquiring minds want to know!!!

Heather said...

We had Beer and Bagels at 7:00 AM in college. (I went to a Catholic college with lots of Irish Americans!) Doubt I ever made it to 2:00AM on St. Patrick's Day!

janet said...

chookamala... that's awesome. wish i'd thought of that when my kids were little.

Faye said...

Still carrying a grudge eh? Old grudges are the best!

Alison said...

chookamala!! what a great story!!

Kaytabug said...

Chookie was a great story!

WOW! I have never ever been to a party where everyone gets kicked out no matter what the time. If there is drinking involved then having guests sleep over is part of the deal. That is crazy!

Tiggerlane said...

Oh. I would be HACKED OFF!! I never invite me friends over to drink w/o having at least one bed ready and some recliners for sleeping. It's just NOT RIGHT!

What an evil hostess! You can come party with me and my friends...I'll even let you stay inside to sleep it off!