10 February, 2008

Fun Monday!

I LOVE this week's Fun Monday. Maybe it's because....well, who doesn't love music? Or maybe it's because it's an easy one for me. But I think this one was a great idea. Ooh, a shiny pen is the host this week, and here's her assignment:

Music plays a vital role in most of our lives. It is everywhere.
I want to hear the ONE song that is you. The song that whenever it is heard, you smile. I am not looking for the soundtrack of your life, just that one song. Your friends hear it and think of you. You can post the video, the lyrics, the wav file. However you want to post it is great.

When I first read this assignment, I knew there was only one song that has ever made me smile every time I hear it. I never get tired of it, and I won't ever.

I will caveat this by saying that I loved this song well before the movie came out in 1990. Well, not too well before, because I was nine at that time. But I remember wanting to see that movie so bad, because it had my song. My. Song.

When I was little, I heard this song for the first time on a country station, in the car with my dad. I told him that I loved it, and that it was mine. He said "Yes, it is yours, and it always will be, because you are MY Pretty Woman." I think that was the first time I can remember thinking that I had, by far, the best dad ever. This fact remains true.

So, my song is Pretty Woman, Roy Orbison version.



30 comments:

Crown Princess said...

What a sweet story and an awesome song

Thanks for playing

SwampAngel65 said...

Aw, I love how you father said it would always be your song. That's great! What a sweet memory and a great song to go with it!

my4kids said...

Love that song. and a sweet story behind it.

Jettie said...

Another fav of mine!! He sings it like no other!!
And how Sweet of Your Father!! that gave me tears!!

Celeste said...

A great story behind the song, and the son g is definite smile-inducer.

ChrisB said...

Oh that is such a sweet story~ and I absolutely love this song~ well in fact all RO songs are a hit with me!

Aoj & The Lurchers said...

I don't even need to listen to this song to know that I love it! And what a lovely story to go with it!

mjd said...

And, nobody can sing the song like Roy Orbison. This song does bring back sweet memories for you and fond memories for many of us.

Lil Mouse said...

ooh thats fun too...

Jenni said...

This is another great song!

Melanie said...

I love how it's always been your song. That is so sweet. And I love that song!!

Hootin' Anni said...

I love this song....'cause it MY era. AND!!!! My young son [at the time of the movie's release] fell in love with Julia Roberts and he too loved the song....it reminds me of him now when I hear it.

Great! It's perfect.

Robocop said...

Now that was a classic.

Sandy said...

How nice that your dad made, and keeps making, you feel so special. Great song.

Robin said...

EVERY daughter needs to hear this from her father! I LOVE that that's the reason you chose it in part. The fact that it's been special to you for a long, long time, makes it even better :).

The Rotten Correspondent said...

You can't beat a classic song and a great family story!

Linda said...

Awww what a warm memory! And for my money Roy's is the ONLY version!
Thanks for posting!

Ari_1965 said...

Oh, no! This is my absolute UNfavorite song of all time, except for Rockin' Round the Christmas Tree by Brenda Lee. I just can't stand Roy Orbison. My whole family thinks I'm a philistine because of that.

Here's my Fun Monday

Kaytabug said...

Love that song and I love Roy!! What a sweet lil story you have to go with it!

anglophilefootballfanatic said...

RIP Roy! I think it's a great song, too. And, a wonderful story for a Daddy & his little girl.

Junebug said...

Oh my, I just came from another blog where I had to leave before I cried and now this makes me want to cry too. That is so sweet....

Nekked Lizard Lady said...

Yea, I can see why that song is "the song" for you. How precious.

Cynthia said...

I like this one too. How cool that it has always been your song.

Alison said...

great song...I loved that movie also!!

swampy said...

Sweet story.
Pretty Woman is a favorite of mine, too.
Loved the movie especially when "Julia" came strutting down that sidewalk with all those clothes.

Peter said...

I haven't seen the Big O mentioned before which is a bit surprising as he was/is so popular.

kitten said...

Good song and sweet story.

lisa marie said...

Ahh, such a good daughter/daddy moment! I've always loved Pretty Woman. :)

Sauntering Soul said...

Perfect song choice! You are a pretty woman.

alisonwonderland said...

what a sweet dad!