04 February, 2008

Fun Monday!

I love, love, love this week's Fun Monday!This week was hosted by Tiggerlane, and she wanted to know what's in our Bucket Lists. As in last week's post, i have a whole journal dedicated to my Bucket List, and it changes on a weekly basis. I add and amend things, and also cross some off as I accomplish them! So here are a few items out of my Bucket Book, in no particular order:

1. Meet and marry my best friend and soul mate. This is an obvious number one for single people, and as most of my content is about the trials and tribulations of looking for that person, it should come as no surprise. This always has and always will be number one!

2. Plant an herb and vegetable garden. I've always thought this would be a fun and relaxing activity, then I would get to cook my own produce. It's funny, but I see myself accomplishing this later in life, after my children are grown.

3. Ride in a helicopter. Over somewhere scenic, like Hawaii or Paris at night.

4. Learn to play the piano, and play it well.

5. Go to the Four Corners and stand in four states at one time.

6. Ride a horse through the countryside. I've only ever been on horses in those cheesy, tour guided trail rides. I want to do the real deal.

7. Visit the Greek Isles.

8. Go to an Elton John concert.

9. Purchase a home on my own, before I get married.

10. Take a mission trip to Africa.

11. Learn web design and coding.

12. Meet "Its Dave V." This is a guy I used to talk to on AIM when I first got it. I was 16. He was 22 and lived in California. We have spent hours and hours talking online and even some on the phone, but we have never met in person. We haven't talked in a few years, so I'm not sure if he still lives in the same place, but one day I would like to have coffee with him. His name is David Pearson, and last I knew of, he lived in Whittier, CA. :o)

13. See my University of Georgia Bulldogs win the national title.

So there are some, in no particular order. I keep my Bucket List by my bed so I can read it every night and remind myself of what all I have left to do in life!

Also - I have already accomplished some! Here are a few:

1. Visit the island that Madonna wrote "La Isla Bonita" about. I spent 8 days on the Ambergris Caye. I love Belize, I love the island, the culture, the food and everything there. However, 5 days is probably enough.

2. Visit the ancient ruins in Rome, Italy. Rome is fabulous. You can walk down th street and be in a modern five star restaurant, turn the corner and be staring at the Coliseum.

3. Come clean about Miguel. I moved in eighth grade. Before my move, I was shy, nerdy and didn't have too many friends. I had a few very good ones, but not a wide group of friends. I decided that when I moved, I would be somebody else. Someone confident and cool. So, upon meeting a group of girls who are still very close friends of mine to this day, I made up a story about a guy named Miguel who I had dated. In my 13 year old mine, "experienced" equated to "cool." I told my friends that Miguel and I had dated, kissed and at one point had licked chocolate syrup off of me when my parents weren't home. Oh, the things a 13 year old thinks are cool. At any rate, I earned the nickname "Cocoa" among my friends because of that story. The truth was, Miguel was a guy that I worked with at the zoo, he was older and I had a crush. That was all. I held on to so much guilt about this lie, because it became a part of me and my new identity. Finally, at age 25, I realized that my friendship with these girls was much deeper, and much stronger, than some silly story I made up as a kid. So one night over drinks, the story came up and I told them the truth. They were shocked, but thought it was hysterical. In all reality, it was no big deal to them, but to me, it was like a weight was lifted off. I knew then that we would be friends always.

4. Graduate college. While I come from a fairly affluent family and consider both of my parents to be very successful and smart, there aren't many college degrees floating around in my family. I wanted one so bad, I wanted to be one of the few who did it, and in May of 2004, I did. My degree hangs framed in my office to this day.

I feel like I am making headway on my bucket List, but I do hope it never becomes empty. My goal is to always have something to look forward to, to always have something to get excited about, and to always have that little journal to cross things off of.

28 comments:

Robocop said...

I would love to see Rome as well. Cool list.

susan said...

Wonderful list. But what I really liked was the story about Miguel! All those years of feeling guilty about something silly. I think we all do that.

gibnjen said...

I like your list and the fact that you have already been able to check some off.

Karmyn R said...

Miguel! I'm giggling over that one! hee hee.

When I graduated high school and started at the local community college none of the guys would ask me out - came to find out they all thought I was dating some older man....and I had never started that rumor. Wish I had...I could have said we licked chocolate syrup off of each other. I could have at least imagined some fun!

Sandy said...

Miguel. I love Miguel. That is too funny.

Lil Mouse said...

its good that you always want something to look forward to. meeting your only love, chocolate syrup or not, is awesome!

Joy T. said...

Great list and really nice to see some of the things you marked off your list too! Coming clean about Miguel made me laugh though. I know it lifted a weight off your shoulders, but it's pretty darn funny!

ChrisB said...

Now you definitely need your vegetable and herb garden when your children are growing up to give then a healthy diet~ and its good learning for them! gosh that sounds like I'm lecturing but I'm not!It's great to be able tick off some of the list but then there are always other things to add!

ellen b. said...

you have some great things on your list and you've accomplised some great things already, too. I was at the Elton John Concert at Dodger Stadium in LA in 1975. Tells you how old I am. Sat in the press box with his mother, that's a long story that isn't as exciting as it sounds...cheers!

Jettie said...

Hey i always wanted to play the Violin.... and last summer I decided to jump in!! I love it!!

Jenni said...

I'm so glad I've got #1 crossed off my list. You'll get that one too, I'm sure:o) You have already done some pretty incredible things and you have so much more to look forward to. The Miguel story was too funny!

janet said...

awesome list.

and the miguel story? hilarious!

Serina Hope said...

Great post. I like that you included some that you have already accomplished.

Sauntering Soul said...

Miguel. Holy crap that was hysterical! I love it.

I've been on a helicopter ride but it was just over part of Atlanta. It was still fun and you should do it wherever you can.

I grow herbs on my back deck in pots but I dream of a big veggie garden where I can go out back and pick my own fresh salad right out of the ground for dinner each night.

eclecticblog said...

Great list and seem very do able...You're young and full of ambitions! I'm sure your bucket list will never be empty!

Alison said...

great list...I was hoping someone would know Dave...I was disappointed to not read that in your comments!! the Miguel story is a good one....What a relief to come clean!!

Michelle said...

Way to go on your accomplishments!! I hope you get to do the rest of them also!!

Tiggerlane said...

Great list! I actually went to an Elton John concert, and I could teach you to play the piano! Thanks so much for participating!

Linda said...

Definately see Elton John in concert - just to be in the same room and breath the same air as a legend like him is amazing!

OneCowgirl said...

great list.....

Pamela said...

Miguel?? Oh my. That is the funniest one I've read so far.

I've always wanted to go the Four Corners, too.

Fianna said...

How awesome it is that you have a dedicated journal for your Bucket List. I love that!

I agree with so many of yours. A garden, a mission trip to Africa, and marry my best friend.

Great list. I may just need to follow your lead and create a continuing list!

raising3saints said...

You will absolutely LOVE riding in a helicopter. It is uber-cool. Not to be missed. Miguel made me laugh too.

Kaytabug said...

Aww your post was just a feel good post! Loved your list! I need to write the things I want to do down so I don't ever forget!

Aoj & The Lurchers said...

There's something for you at my blog!

Crown Princess said...

i love the already done list.

You are all signed up for next week

Abigail said...

I totally live in Whittier. (I do not know Dave V.)

Southern Doll said...

ABIGAIL! My heart just skipped a beat. I need to visit Whittier so I can stalk my former internet friend.