14 September, 2007

Good Conversation With an Old Friend

I'm talking with The BreakUp today and we hit a nugget of wisdom:

Me: "We've reached a whole new level."
The BreakUp: "Ahh yes. I think it is the next logical step for us...see each other's junk (and enjoy)...don't talk for a while...talk about nothing....make fun of the other's new endeavors."
Me: "It's all a part of the 'I did you and now I don't' process."

Isn't that true, though? When you break up with someone, isn't it like a small death? I need to research the five steps of grief, or whatever it is, because I think it can apply to break ups, especially monumental ones. I mean, at first The BreakUp and I tried to just jump back into friendship....it went over as well as a pregnant pole vaulter. It took time, anger, patience, acceptance and now, humor. it's working though, I think. It has been a lesson for me. I can't control other people's lives, even mine sometimes. I have to accept them as they are and for the choices they make.....isn't that what friendship is?

It is much easier said than done.

2 comments:

John Doe 33 said...

It's tough figuring out a friendship with someone you had a relationship with. I've been there. Unfortunately it rarely works.

Good luck with yours! If that's what you want...

Cool blog!

Southern Doll said...

WOW, I have a reader??? ;O)

Thanks for the comment - for the record, I do want that friendship. However, I don't think his "new endeavor" does....what's a girl to do?